SQE has another petition underway to try and staunch the latest round of fees and would-be fees. Here’s a summary of the situation:
The CSU has attempted to raise fees every year for over a decade regardless of circumstances and in many cases justifying increases on speculation rather than research. The most recent attempt, Student Success Fees, has been in defiance of Governor Brown’s 4 year moratorium on tuition fee hikes for the CSU.
And here is Students for Quality Education’s suggestions (nine total) :
1. 50% +1 of entire student body has to participate in vote.
2. A “Yes” or “No” vote will be binding.
3. Every student currently enrolled that would be required to pay the fee, should be allowed to vote.
4. Instate a third party review of budget reports and funding allocation to ensure transparency.
5. Should students approve the new fees, Campus Presidents will host open meetings to present how they intend to spend the funds with uncensored Questions & Answer section.
6. Post-allocation transparency reports should be itemized and given to all students and faculty.
7. Current fees that were voted down by students should be repealed.
8. All campuses that were denied a vote should be required to hold a student vote.
9. Establish a three year sunset on approved fees.
You can fill out the petition here. Every signature will help the administration understand that students are already overtaxed and overstretched.